Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 7: My 21 Day Journal

So today my Pastor prayed something interesting when we were praying for all the students - especially those who had gone to camp. He said something like "Father we pray that their experience with You was not only environmental". I have been thinking about that during my secret place time today.

Environment IS important to your time with God. You have to choose an environment that will not distract you from being with Him or hearing Him. At camp, we did not have electronic devices to steal our attention and time. We had no work schedule, sports practices, or social opportunities to make time for. Our purpose was to carve out 5 days to give to God. So I know we can't always carve out 5 whole days. BUT we could remove all those things for one hour a week couldn't we? I'm realizing that part of the impact of my time with God does depend on the environment that I create. I take an hour every Tuesday to go in our sanctuary, plug the iPod into the sound system, journal and pen ready if needed, and I don't take calls or visits for one hour. The lights are dim and the music is loud (worship tunes but I like that if someone walks in while I'm storming heaven, they won't necessarily hear what I'm praying). And it is a GREAT connect time with God for me. But it's not the ONLY way I sense His presence and connect with Him.

Do you think that environmental issue is a problem for you? Have you limited your God-rocking-my-world moments to camp, youth convention, and lock-ins? What can you do to create the environment you need to connect with God? He certainly isn't exclusive - the Holy Spirit will meet you anywhere.

No comments: