Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 11: My 21 Day Journal

This is harder than it looks. I think the pre-printed reflection questions would definitely be helpful. :o) Okay - enough excuses. I'll catch up...

I just had my two nephews stay with me for a week. They are 7 and 9 years of age. They are boys, therefore they are energetic, creative, and excitable.  That's a gentle way of saying hyperactive, bored easily, and sometimes combative with each other.  LOL  I already knew that before they came...my purpose was to bless my sister and her husband. They have a special needs daughter who requires very intensive and consistent care, and it definitely puts stress on their family life and marriage.  So we gave them a gift of a week of relaxation.  They arranged for extra nursing care and had a fantastic week.

So I KNEW the challenge was coming.  I was going to have to CHOOSE to be patient and try to prevent problems before they arose.  I mentally geared myself up for it the week before.  And everything went really smooth!  I was with my kids and my nephews all day Thursday and Friday - entertaining them - and by Friday evening, I was worn out.  :o)  But we had a lot of fun, I felt closer to them, and it was all worth it.

What would have happened if I hadn't prepared myself?  I would have been surprised and frustrated by the little conflicts that come up.  I would have been annoyed by the messes that were made.  I would have not had any ideas how to keep them busy and they would have been in more mischief.  I would have probably gotten crabby at everyone else because of all those things.  So our house would have been in chaos, we would have been irritable with each other, and the boys would probably not wanna come back.

Preparing yourself for difficulties that lie ahead (and there ALWAYS are some) is always worth the effort, and saves you a great deal of pain.  So take that approach in your spiritual life too.  What may change?

No comments: