Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 14: My 21 Day Journal

Can you still walk away?

Sadly, over the years of being actively involved in church leadership, I've seen too many people that I thought were committed followers of Christ just walk away from Him.  They didn't just leave our church...they turned back to their old life.  I'm always bewildered and heartbroken by that.  It begs the question - "Did they really KNOW Him?"  "Had they truly repented?"

Ultimately only God knows that.  But I do believe that when you dive deeply into being a disciple of Jesus Christ - there is no turning back for you.  Like Peter said in John 6:68, Lord, where are we going to go (my paraphrase)? Only You have the words of eternal life.  When you have that AHA moment and realize what Christ has rescued you from, you are forever changed.  Salvation results from that revelation...and a deep love that grows in your heart out of that understanding.  Once you get there, I don't think you can pretend like it never happened.  So my theory...most of those people never quite got there.  Only my theory.  God only knows.

No comments: