Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 1: My camp 21 day journal

I am going to attempt to record some thoughts about summer camp this year. I am doubtful that I can find adequate words to describe it, but here goes... I knew as we packed up the van that the students were expecting - even needing - a special week in God's presence. There were some who have had a difficult time the last few months, so I understood what they were looking for. But there others that didn't have any specific struggle going on, other than just feeling "dry" in their spiritual life. Students always look forward to camp. But there was something different this year.

I think it's related to the same hunger that's been rising in our church. We've been at a "stuck" place and are feeling this sense of frustration about how to move on from this place. We know that God wants us to seek a deeper connection with Him. So there we were...packing up to leave. There were students who were hoping to have fun and meet new people. There were some who were excited to hang out with old friends. Some were truly hoping for a miracle - a magic moment where God took all their sinful desires away and made them a better Christian. Some just wanted the intensity of worship and altar services, but didn't really want God to change them too much. Others were desperately hoping that God would answer their questions about where to go from here. The adults were just holding their breath and praying that something meaningful would happen. I think what God ultimately decided to do was beyond any of those expectations.

No comments: