Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 2: My 21 Day Journal

One of my favorite things about being at camp is that the students get really close. It makes sense. They're experiencing a powerful time together. People let their guard down at the altar. They encourage each other to worship, pray, and be vulnerable. I saw tough guys crying out to God. I saw popular kids with tears streaming down their faces. I saw outcasts being accepted and embraced during prayer. I saw quiet, awkward kids stepping up to take responsibility for what God was saying to them. The presence of God is a place of transformation. True repentance goes from a change in thinking to a change in behavior. The environment at camp makes it easy to have a change in thinking. But the change in behavior can't be tested until you go home. As I watched the change in thinking take place - in even the toughest cases - I couldn't help but have some fear about whether they are strong enough for the change in behavior that needs to follow.

Immediately on Monday night, there was an electricity at the altar. People went up even if the altar call didn't apply to them. They were just so hungry for God's touch, it didn't seem to matter what it was about. Sometimes Monday services are the "warm up" time and we don't expect much. But this time the standard was set high right from the start! I went to sleep that night SO excited to see what was coming next.

No comments: