Monday, August 31, 2009

Emily's Overflow so far...

In Semptember of last year, my step dad got into a really bad motorcycle accident that should have killed him, but from the glory of God, his life was spared. But I am not saying that he didnt come out without a scratch. Let me tell you... he was pretty banged up. During this time my mother wasnt working so we truly had no money. I felt like I needed to give back my allowance to my parents since they needed the money more then I did. During the process of healing and my stepdad being able to do the daily things once again (ex shower, eat...etc). I was going through some pretty hard situations also. By some miracle, we got through the rough patch with money.

In March my mom started a new job. My step dad still hasnt been working since Semptember and he started getting very depressed. One Wed night, Annette threw these little white papers on the floor for us to go pick one up to help little kids across the globe with things like food, doctors, and school and so forth. I started crying, I wanted to do one but I just didn't have enough money. Then Annette and myself had a very nice and long talk about how Overflow isnt just a dollar amount - its what you do too. I noticed that even though I wasn't giving money at that time, I was giving my time to different church events. Those profits where going to go to Speed the Light.

Then the 9nine challenge came and I really wanted to do it. I knew I didnt have the money and I didnt know where the money would come from. So one day I emptied my wallet into a box and put it on my book shelf. All I had was a dollar and a lot of change. Then my birthday was coming, so all I asked for was money. I felt called to give every single cent from my birthday money to this 9nine challenge. I know if you listen to God, he will pay you more then what you could have possibly wanted. So far, for the 9ine challenge I have raised $72.99. I have had thoughts saying I can't reach it. It's impossible. But I just have to keep believeing that I will earn it. Then a couple of days later, my moms boss, Doug (he owns the Dairy Dock) asked my mom how old I was and if I was looking for work!! And she said she had to talk to me about it and I said I would do it. They're even going to pick me up from school and bring me to work! They havent garenteed the job yet, but I believe that somehow I will raise the remaining money I need. Something I have learned during all this is that God will provide and I have to put my trust in him. Doing all this has really pushed me more out of my comfort zone and to do the impossible. With God's help everything's possible!

No comments: