Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Great Question!

Okay I hope to hear more people weigh in on this...

Here's what I think. I haven't read the series so I can only go off of the reviews that I read and the people that I've talked to who just LOVE the books. There's one perspective that says the books are okay because there is absolutely no sex, swearing (one word in the second book actually), or real violence. Kudos to the author for writing something clean and entertaining!!

The subtle themes of the book are what bother me. You've all heard me talk about the issues of teens in romantic relationships. This book totally capitalizes on how girls just LOVE the romantic stuff. Edward is just perfect - except for the fact he's a vampire! He's self controlled and sweet and caring...but he's also obsessed with Bella. I read a blog that described it well..."a ridiculously handsome guy worships the ground she walks on and devotes his every waking moment to romancing her". What girl wouldn't swoon at that?? We love to read that stuff. Now get ready for it...THIS IS NOT REALITY! I'm pretty sure your parents don't want your wonderful, caring boyfriend sneaking in at night to sleep beside you - clothes on or not. Girls, we have to be very careful about not blurring the lines of reality and romance. True love is a wonderful gift and romance is a part of that...but obsession is dangerous and unhealthy.

The other subtle problem is the issue of vampires. While this is totally fantasy, it concerns me because the world makes darkness look so alluring and exciting. There are people who seek darkness...vampires, witchcraft, ouija boards, etc. That is like opening your front door and inviting the devil to come for supper, and then thinking his presence isn't going to change the atmosphere at all. You don't want him to live there, but just hang out sometimes. At some point, his presence in your life will begin to change you. I'm not saying that reading Twilight will mean you're going to hell. It's a fantasy book that is, by the usual Christian standards, clean. But these subtle themes that are built into the story do concern me. And since God is more important to me than any kind of entertainment, I do stay away from those things. Better safe than sorry, ya know?

What it boils down to is...what can you afford?

No comments: